On November 19th, 1805, Captain William Clark and 11 of his men visited the site that a hundred years later became known as The Breakers. This was the end of his epic voyage to the Pacific Ocean. Captain Clark’s journal records his carving the words “By land from the United States” along with his initials on a pine tree near the ocean. To honor this historic event the City of Long Beach commissioned a 20 foot tall bronze statue of this windswept tree installed at the edge of our beach. This special tree and our beach is now viewed through our webcam.
The City has also extended the “Discovery Trail” from downtown Long Beach to Captain Clark’s monument at The Breakers. Southward, the trail travels 8 miles through dunes to Beard’s Hollow, then over the cape and into Ilwaco.
Ask at the front desk for a map or grab a copy: